I never thought...

I never thought...
...that I would live in a town with a castle

Monday, April 14, 2008

A milennium of architecture in two days....


The last couple days were a lot of fun. Saturday I helped two friends of my host family, Natalie and Christophe, move from our small village (Boissières) to the slightly bigger town of Clarensac. They weren't changing for the village itself, but rather the size and style of the houses. Their house in Boissières, which was built in 1535, is in the center of the village and therefore lacks a garden, a driveway, and generally just more space. The stairs and the floors, which are incredible when you think about how many people have walked on them, are sometimes rather tilted. The only heating is the fireplace, and it's impossible to hang anything on the walls. Fast forward four and a half centuries and you find their new house, which was built in 1976. It has a gate, plenty of lawn and garden space, an awesome view of the Vaunage (our valley) from the upstairs office, and an enormous terrace behind the house. Anyways it's a big change for them and interesting for me to see two completely different houses in a day. So we loaded and unloaded two trucks two times each, and at the end sat around drinking wine and beer and eating paté, summer sausage, bread, and cheese. I think the next youngest after me was 40 years old, but whatever....

Yesterday was another change of scenery. I finally got around to riding to the Pont St. Nicolas, which I've been saying I'd do for a couple months now. The roads on the way there were beautiful and I was riding a little too quickly probably, because at the end of my ride I was dead. I was wondering why a bunch of people were watching the road in a small village, and yelling for me as I rode by, until I got passed by a few French rallye racing cars. So I rode on to the old bridge and stopped and took some pictures. The bridge was built in the beginning of the Romanesque period (end of the 10th century to the 12th century) by the Frères Pontifes, a religious brotherhood of bridge builders. Obviously the architecture of the bridge is completely different than the Pont du Gard, and so is the condition of the bridge... Not to criticize the brotherhood, but their the Roman aqueduct from 2000 years ago is in better condition! The road from the bridge back to Nîmes was very different as well. Many more cars, and I passed an army training ground, with lots of "tank crossing" signs. I rolled through Nîmes, which was busy with people out in the pretty weather, and rode slowly back, tired.

So I saw a century of architecture in a couple days, which was interesting. The weather has been pretty nice, except for a big storm last night and the first thunder I've heard here. I think that's all I have to write for the moment. I'm going to Tunisia on Sunday, so if I don't blog again before then I'll have plenty to write about and plenty of pictures afterwards. Hope everyone's well!

No comments: