I never thought...

I never thought...
...that I would live in a town with a castle

Monday, November 19, 2007

Chestnuts really roasting over an open fire


So yesterday I went to St. Ambroix, which is a town in the very north of Le Gard, almost in the region of Cevennes. We went to some friends' house for lunch, and then after took a small tour of the surrounding area. Their house was absolutely beautiful, mainly because it was just such a change for me. Build in the early 17th century, it was actually originally two small houses with a few other tiny apartments. Now all of that is connected, so it has a very tall gap in the middle that used to provide light to a small alley/courtyard in the middle. Anyways, now all of that is closed in and is their house. Since those Centre-Ville French houses are so tall, it has three floors with small verandas looking out on the Plaza of St. Ambroix. Plus the fact that the man used to work for some kind of French foreign services and the European Union, so he has all kinds of interesting pictures, masks, weaves, etc.

After eating lunch we drove north into Cevennes. Besides the beautiful mountainous scenery, we checked out something that I definitely wouldn't have know about if I were just a tourist here: la Clede, which is a small place a guy makes chestnut flour and shows the history of how it is/was made. Here's a link to check out some information about the chataignes, or chestnuts, if you would like.

Tomorrow I'm not going to school again, as there is another strike. Tomorrow is a one-day strike for teachers who choose to do so. The strike for train drivers is still going on, as well. Instead of going to school I'm going to do my Thanksgiving grocery shopping, among other things. I'm getting all geared up, but still nervous to cook a huge meal for 10 people. Hope everyone has an awesome holiday!

No comments: