I never thought...

I never thought...
...that I would live in a town with a castle

Friday, November 9, 2007

Ah, dommage!

I never wanted it to come, but the end of vacation was yesterday morning. And I could barely stand these two days of school after nearly two weeks off, but here the weekend is! And I also realized that it's been a week since I posted, so it was about time.

Sunday I actually went to La Gavotte, which is right next to Marseille. I again ate a lot of awesome food, which this time was a warm Spanish gaspacho. I enjoyed watching it be made as much as eating it. Basically the man who cooked it took this huge pan and set it over a grill. He cooked these small steaks and pieces of chicken in a little oil and then took them off. After he poured on a ton of onion, peppers, and tomato pulp, added the meat back in and seasoned it with salt and pepper. Then threw in a bunch of small pieces of soft bread. Entertaining and delicious, a real French meal.

The other entertainment was listening to my host father's large family debate soccer. As he said, there are 900,000 people living in Marseille, and 900,000 coaches. It cracked me up listening to my siblings' great aunt saying "Cisse est nul, Cisse est la merde!"

The rest of the week was spent avoiding homework and riding my bike. Wednesday morning I got up at 6:30 so I could start riding when the sun came up. I rode a good route to Uzes, but had to take a detour on the way back because some rocks had fallen from a cliff, and I think might have actually killed some people. Needless to say, the road was blocked and my ride, with the detour and my first puncture ever on my road bike (I've been lucky) the ride took a little longer than I wanted. 115 kilometers, I finally got back home at 12:45 and scarfed down some ravioli.

In other news, Thanksgiving is approaching and I think I'm actually going to cook for it. Except we'll celebrate Thanksgiving during the weekend, because I have class until 5 on Thursday. I'm definitely going to cook the turkey, stuffing, sweet potatoes, green beans, and a couple pies; possibly more if more people are coming over. If anyone has any cooking suggestions or serious dishes I'm leaving out please send them my way. That's all I think. Take it easy.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Do they have parsnips there?

Chris

Jonah said...

I have no idea. I just translated it, so I'll have to ask later if they have any "panais." I'm sure they do though, all developed countries have basically everything someone would want. Except I couldn't find canned pumpkin, so I'm making my pumpkin pie with real pumpkin. My host mother has been surprised that we have zucchini and prunes in the U.S. though, I guess she thinks we're too unhealthy for those or something? Anyways, do you have a good recipe for parsnips?

Unknown said...

Yeah, a simple one- heavy on the saturated fat, but it's Thanksgiving, right?

1 lb. Parsnips, peeled and roughly chopped.
1/4 tsp ground ginger
Half cup heavy cream
4 tablespoons butter
Salt and pepper to taste


Boil the parsnips until soft.

Drain the water and pulverize with a hand-masher or for an extra smooth puree, run them through a ricer.

Add the remaining ingredients over low heat and mix well.

Adjust the cream, butter, and ginger to suit your particular taste.