I never thought...

I never thought...
...that I would live in a town with a castle

Sunday, January 20, 2008

A beautiful spring weekend - for Maryland...


I think the weather is pretty good in general in my real hometown of Columbia, Maryland. Of course my brother and sister think differently when they come up from North Carolina during winter, but I've always preferred the North myself. Even though Maryland is south of the Mason Dixon line, but whatever. Anyways, the weather here this weekend was gorgeous. I remember last winter in Maryland we had a couple nice days thanks ironically to global warming. Today and yesterday were in the 60's-70's here and sunny all day. I think, but I'm not real sure because I think in Celsius now and I'm too lazy to convert it. Really beautiful and excellent for bike riding!

So yesterday I woke up and decided to ride. I did a relatively short ride, but made it a little harder with a few of the "climbs" that are around me, with the main purpose of checking out the views. It was amazingly clear out, and awesome to see all the way around me: the flat plains to the south of me, the snow-capped Cevennes mountains to the north-west, etc.

Today I went out for a ride after lunch, but unfortunately had to turn around early because my knee was killing me. It was actually hurting a bit the night before, but I didn't really think anything about it then. I think my ilio-tibial band is inflamed, and it'll just go away if I stretch more. I have a bad habit of not stretching nearly enough, but now I guess I need to change that!

Other than the bad knee things are going pretty good. There is supposed to be a teacher's strike on Thursday, so hopefully I'll get most of my day off from school. It's happening because of the Pecresse Law that I spoke of before. The French President Nicolas Sarkozy is changing the education system a lot, and it means there will be nine less jobs for teachers at my school next year, including two in the French department. For the French department alone that means 35 hours or so of teaching will have to be made up and split around through the other teachers.

That's about all my news for now. My dad sent me a link to the pictures he took when he and my mom were visiting. If you'd like to check them out, go here. Hope everything's going well, thanks for reading, and I'll write again soon!

No comments: